Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Be like Albus Dumbledore

For those who have the privilege of not experiencing 'Going Insane Lianna', I will inform you that this semester has been particularly hellish for me.
   I have been working full time and going to school full time, taking four intense, hair ripping, extremely stressful project-extensive classes. I had to pull 5 all-nighters to get it all done!
    To make you fully grasp my experience, I have taken the liberty of copying an excerpt from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- where Harry forces Dumbledore to drink poisonous potion to reveal a horcrux. All I did was replace "Dumbledore" with "Lianna", and "Harry" with "The Degree" (with a few minor tweaks to make it all relevant ;-)

Any student can insert their name and completely relate!!  To follow along, open the Half-Blood Prince to page 571. Enjoy!




"You...you can't stop, Lianna," said The Degree. "You've got to keep studying, remember? You told me you had to keep studying. Here..."

   The Degree forced the project back toward Lianna's workload and tipped it on the desk, so that Lianna would complete the remainder of the homework.

  "No..." she groaned, as The Degree assigned another project and gave a lecture. "I don't want to... I don't want to....Let me go..."

  "It's all right, Lianna," said The Degree. "It's all right, I'm here-"

   "Make it stop, make it stop," moaned Lianna.

   "Yes...yes, this'll make it stop," lied The Degree. It dumped the instructions of another project into Lianna's open backpack.

  Lianna screamed; the noise echoed all around the vast classroom, across the dead black parking lot.
   "No, no, no no, I can't, I can't, don't make me, I don't want to..."

   "It's all right, Lianna, it's all right!" said The Degree loudly. The semester was now half over. "Nothing's happening to you, you're safe, it isn't real, I swear it isn't real- take these midterms, now, take these..."

   And obediently, Lianna took the midterms, as though it was an antidote The Degree offered her, but upon testing, she sank to her knees, shaking uncontrollably.

   "It's all my fault, all my fault," she sobbed. "Please make it stop, I know I did wrong, oh please make it stop and I'll never, never again..."

   "This will make it stop, Lianna," The Degree said, its voice cracking as it assigned the seventh project into Lianna’s workload.

  Lianna began to cower as though invisible torturers surrounded her; her flailing hands almost knocked the project from The Degree 's hands as she moaned, "Don't hurt them, don't hurt them, please, please, it's my fault, hurt me instead..."

   "Here, take this, take this, you'll be all right," said The Degree, and once again Lianna obeyed, working on her assignments even as she kept her eyes tight shut and shook from head to foot.

   And now she fell forward, screaming again, hammering her fists upon the ground, while The Degree assigned the ninth project.

   "Please, please, please, no...not that, not that, I'll do anything..."

   "Just work, Lianna, just work..."

  Lianna worked as though her life depended on it, but when she had finished, she yelled again as though her hands were on fire. "No more, please, no more..."

  The Degree dished out a tenth assignment and saw the semester nearly drawing to a close. "We're nearly there, Lianna. Work, work on it..."

  The Degree supported Lianna's shoulders and again, Lianna completed the project; then The Degree was on its feet once more, dishing out more as Lianna began to scream in more anguish than ever, "I want to die! I want to die! Make it stop, make it stop, I want to die!"

   "Present this, Lianna. Present this..."

 Lianna presented, and no sooner had she finished than she yelled, "KILL ME!"

   "This-this one will!" gasped The Degree. "Just take these finals... It'll be over... all over!"

 Lianna took the finals, answered every last question, and then, with a great, rattling gasp, rolled over onto her face.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what any of that meant, but I'm so excited you'll be done soon!!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only you had listened to yourself!

    Tuesday, August 10, 2010
    "...there is NO WAY I am working full time along with school!"
    Posted by Liannabeth at 4:54 PM

    ReplyDelete